Joliet Archery Club was originally founded under the name of Joliet Bowhunters located in Lamb Woods on Essington Road near Jefferson Street. In 1951, Joliet Bowhunters moved to its first location in New Lennox on Parker Road. Then in 1953 the Club relocated to its current location that we all cherish on Francis Road. It was an interesting time back in those days were people dedicated endless hours maintaining the property so all could share the love of archery. One can only imagine what it was like in those days; no cell phones, no Internet, no Netflix, families had closer bonds and shared endless hours together on the range. Rather than work parties, every family was assigned a target, they brought their own lawn equipment to cut grass and maintain the targets for all to enjoy. In 1965, the first clubhouse was built, however the clubhouse at that point was a small structure for goods and supplies. It wasn’t until 1979 that Joliet Bowhunters added the indoor range to hold indoor events. Shortly after its completion the club started its first Indoor Bowhunter League which has been happening ever since. In 2001, Joliet Bowhunters officially changed its name to what we know today as Joliet Archery Club. As you can imagine, over the past 72+ years there have been countless members who donated their time maintaining the property. Not to mention all the board members over the years who jointly made decisions for the betterment of the club as we know it today.
Aside from the Club history, the property also has some historical significance. Located between targets 9 & 10 on the Field Course is a plaque designating the location of the first building in Will County, Circa 1829.
Club Location: 3700 W. Francis Rd., New Lenox, IL 60451
MAILING ADDRESS: P.O. Box 277, New Lenox, IL 60451